Tuesday, February 23, 2016



16mm Film Manipulation Second Response

   I definitely had tons of fun with direct 16mm film manipulation, and in the process learned a lot. I didn’t realize there was a multitude of methods by which one can manipulate 16mm film without a camera, i.e. camera-less. Some of the methods were tedious but nonetheless the anticipation and excitement of how it would the finish product look, how it would look when projected, was like waiting to open a Christmas present.  

   The process of developing film was easier than I thought.  The only disadvantage was working nearly in complete darkness, but other than that the process was fascinating.
   If I had to do it all over again, the only part I would have changed would have been how I edited the finished product together. I believe I could have done a much better job. It also makes me reflect on how difficult it must have been for editors to piece together a movie pre-video, the thousands and thousands of feet that need to be spliced together. 

   Overall it was an excellent exercise that opened the door and stimulated the creative process. It makes us look at the possibilities of the film-medium from a multitude of different perspectives, to stretch its parameters, and to learn of the film’s creative plasticity. This some process, stretching the mediums creative boundaries, means we should take this same creative exercise to help us explore and expand the creative side of video format by whatever means possible. Don’t limit yourself nor the mediums capabilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment